Thursday, October 3, 2013

Which Witch is Which?

I know this isn't witch related, but I love this.
​In honor of our SPOOK-tastic Bookish Halloween, I want to talk to you about witches. I'm sure all of your are well aware of the stereotypes and lore of witches - between the Salem Witch trials and all the mythology of witchcraft, I'm sure you have a basic enough knowledge on the subject. If not, head on over here and get all the information you could possibly want on the subject.

So instead of boring you with what you already know, I'm going to talk about my favorite witches that I have had the pleasure of encountering over the years.

Are you a good witch?

Willow Rosenberg, Buffy the Vampire Slayer
What isn't there to love about Willow? She went from being a regular teenage girl, who lived on a Hellmouth, to becoming one of the most powerful witches. Okay, yes she tried to destroy the world once, but we had Xander to remind us a crayon breaky Willow and the world was saved from yet another apocalypse. (I suddenly find myself wondering what the plural of apocalypse is. -Riley Finn)


Harry Potter and Company, Harry Potter
I could go on and on about 90% of the witches and wizards from Harry Potter but I don't have that kind of time. Hopefully, neither do you. These characters are just straight up amazing and I love them all. Yes, I even like Bellatrix. Well, I don't like her-like her, but you can't argue that she is quite adapt at being evil. I mean, she's crazy! But she's fun. Because crazy evil is more fun than plain evil. (I know she doesn't fall under the category of "good witch," but she's the only villain from the series I like, so we're giving her a pass. In this case anyway.)


Elphaba, aka The Wicked Witch of the West, Wicked
No, not the Wizard of Oz version, the version from the musical. (The musical is based off Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire, but the musical is much happier. And I like it more.) Elphaba is just trying to do good and it usually ends up blowing up her face. It doesn't help that the Wizard has turned everybody against her, with the exception of Glinda and Fiero. All because she refused to help him carry out his plans to take over Oz. Rude, Wizard. Rude.


Or are you a bad witch?

Regina Mills/The Evil Queen, Once Upon A Time
If you don't watch this series, you are missing out! All your favorite fairy tale creatures, and then some, thrown into one world. Amazing. I have squealed over this numerous times and will continue to do so. Regina is an amazing villain and much cooler than her predecessor from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfes. She just radiates evil, no matter how hard she tries to be good. She also has some pretty kick ass outfits in fairytale land.


Ursula, The Little Mermaid
You can't argue with a woman who lives "to help poor unfortunate souls like" Ariel. Okay, so she turns merpeople who can't pay into those seaweed things, took Ariel's voice as payment, and tried to marry Prince Eric, all in attempt to take over the ocean, but at least she had high ambitions. And a super catchy song.


Maleficent, Sleeping Beauty
Another favorite Disney villian of mine and definitely not one to cross. Seriously, she cursed a newborn princess because she didn't get invited to the party. This woman isn't messing around and she holds quite the grudge. Plus, she's got that neat staff and a super creepy raven.


The Sanderson Sisters (Winifred, Sarah, and Mary), Hocus Pocus
Ah, the Sanderson Sisters. Legendary witches that literally sucked the souls out of children to remain young, only to be hung by the townsfolk and doomed to wait for a virgin to light the black flame candle. It isn't Halloween without watching this movie at least once. Or anytime you happen to come across is on the TV - don't judge! And I'm still waiting for two of my friends to succumb to my wishes to dress as them for Halloween. If for no other reason than I can go around all night doing this:


Who are some of your favorite witches? Good or bad, let me know!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...