Saturday, April 12, 2014

Cheater, Cheater, Pumpkin Eater

I am a book monogamist.

Or . . . I was a book monogamist.

I used to see blog posts and tweets about people reading numerous books at the same time. I always thought "How? How can you read more than one book at a time? How do you decided which one to pick up? How do you keep the story lines straight? Why can't you just love one book at a time before moving onto the next?"

And then slowly but surely, I became one of those people that read multiple books at once. It didn't happen over night and I didn't realize it until I read Jamie's post. I had become a serial book cheater!

Main Book: This is the book that I read whenever I'm at home, or I'm staying at my parents for the night. It's also the book I take when I'm going to an appointment and know I'll be waiting around for a bit. Because of this, this book gets read the fastest and has the most turnover rate. Currently, Killer Instinct by S.E. Green.

Work Book: After reading Jamie's post, this also became my car book - thanks for the tip! When I practiced monogamy, I would take my book to and from work. This became a problem when I either left the book at home or at work and deprived myself of reading it when the opportunity arose. After this annoying incident occurring a few times, I grabbed the next book in my TBR pile and while it does travel back and forth to work, it stays in my car in case of emergencies or whatnot. Currently, My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick.

Night Book: I love reading at night. It's peaceful, Joe and Bentley are usually sleeping, and there are next to no distractions. The only problem being Joe and Bentley are usually sleeping, so I can't use a light. This is where my wonderful iPad comes into play. I can read until the wee hours of the morning with my Kindle app and not bother either one of them. Beautiful thing. Currently, Old Flames, Burned Hands by Tim McGregor.

Audio Book: Audiobooks are a new thing for me. I've haven't used them a lot, three or so. Now that I'm not committed to one book, I've started using audiobooks for when I'm cleaning the house - the deep cleaning type of cleaning, which takes at least the morning and half the afternoon - working in the yard, or walking Bentley. It's a win/win. I get to do something that needs to be done while still getting to participate in my favorite pastime. Currently, Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

Of course, there are exceptions. Maybe the main book is just too good and moments are getting so intense that it becomes the night book, or the work book is too detailed to allow for frequent interruptions and becomes the main book. Things like that.

So there you have it. My slow descent into serial book cheating. What about you? Are you a book monogamist or a serial cheater? Were you always this way or did you slowly change over time like I did?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...