Saturday, August 30, 2014

Sweet Legacy by Tera Lynn Childs (Review)



Genre:
Mythology, Medusa, YA
Publication Date:September 3, 2013
Pages:384
Published By:  Katherine Tegen Books
WebsiteSweet Legacy on Goodreads

Tera Lynn Childs Website
My review copy:Purchased

Where to get:



The stunning conclusion of Tera Lynn Childs's Greek mythology–based Sweet Venom trilogy is perfect for teen fans of Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series.

The girls cannot hesitate as they seek the location of the lost door between the realms, even as monsters and the gods of Olympus descend on San Francisco in battle-ready droves.

Greer must use her second sight to step up and prevent anything from stopping her sisters' mission, even though a god is playing with her mind. Grace wants to trust her adopted brother, Thane; but will his secret put the girls in even more danger? And Gretchen has trained her sisters to stop the monsters, but her role as a huntress comes with more responsibility than she ever imagined.What will the girls' immortal legacy be? Three teenage descendants of Medusa must unite to restore balance to the world in this action-packed series with plenty of romance.
(Goodreads)



  Until Nick and my biological mother are safe, my sisters are back with the gorgons, and the looming war is over, I have to stay focused on the mission.  Lives are at stake.  My love life can come later.
My brain   always a source of pride and power, the means to all of my success   is suddenly my enemy.  It is brining my enemies to my side, to my sisters' sides.  And I hate it.
  "I saw the Fates."
  "The Fates?" Gretchen echoes.
  Graces eyes get as wide as saucers.
  "They were sent to give me advice."
  I know these moments never last long, but I'm going to hold on to it for as long as I can, because after this is over, I have a feeling that "normal" won't even be in my vocabulary any more.


Betrayal, Truths & a Spectacular Finish!


  Admittedly I only started reading this series last year before this book came out.  I enjoyed the way Childs used the Medusa mythology and the division of the Gods, creating something a little different.  She made characters and a background that made sense, and created something that had me intrigued from the start.  Childs writing and

   This trilogy has shown a lot of character, plot and world development.  From start to finish there has been change, some good and some bad but it has been a progressive ride.  One of the things I have always admired about these books, is the pacing.  Each book has progression and all of the needed details, but the action that is placed throughout always fits perfectly.  There is a feel of natural progression while reading each of these books. and you know that everything is happening for a reason.  However, this does not make the books or their contents predictable.  I often found myself questioning what was coming or where peoples loyalties lay, because there was always something to question almost right to the end.

  I am saddened to leave Greer, Grace and Gretchen.  There has been ups and downs with each of them, but ultimately they are characters that I have enjoyed.  Each girl earned to take the chances needed, but they also learned this unconditional love for one another.  They are sisters by blood, but not upbringing that have really come together to understand their differences and the strength that they can find within one another.  Heck, to a point they discovered their weaknesses within one another as well and yet they acknowledged this and owned them.  Greer, who had always been the most difficult really stepped up in this book and I seriously ended up admiring her for it.  Grace is Grace.  She has been the sweetest and who I thought was the most vulnerable of the sisters, but I should not have mistaken her big heart for weakness.  When push came to shove Grace stood up and took risks to save those that she loved.  Gretchen has always been the kick ass strength of the books, and what I loved about this book was that she grew into the girl that wasn't just strong for herself but became soft for her sisters and their well being.

  Romance was in the air with this book. Gretchen already had someone but the other girls also got someone for themselves.  I guess some people would call certain bits of it insta-love, but I really felt that what they got was something that had been building.  Not a single guy stepped out of the shadows and it was love, more like they had already been there and the girls were willing to take the chances.  Greers was a little more easy to accept because of the circumstances, but Grace got something that the others didn't.  She got acceptance despite the world she lived in being so different.  The only thing I had a hard time accepting was Nick.  I had really started liking him in Sweet Shadows, but he had me questioning his loyalty to Gretchen all over again in this book.

  Sweet Legacy was a great ending to this trilogy.  Yes, there is one big question left at the end of the book that may irritate some, but I feel that the answer is fairly obvious.  I did enjoy that little bit being left because it allows me to think of the characters in a future context.  These are books that I enjoyed picking up and will revisit in the future if I ever get the chance.  Pick them up if you enjoy mythology, or if you want to read something about Medusa with a twist!




For more reviews, author features, discussion posts and giveaways, click on the banner to see the full MERMAIDS & MYTHS schedule!



Goodreads Twitter Blog Instagram Facebook Image Map
Goodreads Twitter Blog Instagram Facebook Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...