Thursday, August 7, 2014

The Gatekeeper's Sons by Eva Pohler (Review)

Genre:
Young Adult, Mythology,  Supernatural, Magic, Gods & Goddesses
Publication Date:  August 13th 2012
Pages:384 pages
Published By:  Green Press
WebsiteEva Pohler

The Gatekeeper's Sons on Goodreads
My review copy:Bought for my Kindle :]
Where to get:



Fifteen-year-old Therese watches her parents die. While in a coma, she meets the twin sons of Hades—Hypnos, the god of sleep, and Thanatos, the god of death. She thinks she's manipulating a dream, not kissing the god of death and totally rocking his world. 

Than makes a deal with Hades and goes as a mortal to the Upperworld to try and win Therese's heart, but not all the gods are happy. Some give her gifts. Others try to kill her. 

The deal requires Therese to avenge the death of her parents. With the help of Than’s fierce and exotic sisters, the Furies, she finds herself in an arena face to face with the murderer, and only one will survive.
(Goodreads)


If Therese's spirit were capable of making him feel so much sensual pleasure, how much more pleasurable could she make him feel in the flesh? Only now did he become aware of what he had been missing.
"Amuse, Father? Are you amused by their suffering?"      "When it's deserved. I find it both amusing and satisfying."



For lack of better words or terms, this book was okay. I didn't thoroughly enjoy it to where I can say I loved it. It just didn't connect with me like I was hoping for. I did however, love the way Pohler wrote. Her style of writing is simple yet beautiful. Definitely an easy read. I just feel that the book as a whole is a bit lacking.

Therese is a fifteen year old. Now, normally I don't read books with main characters who are younger than sixteen or seventeen. I mainly do that because I feel like fourteen and fifteen year olds are still lacking the maturity that you grow into while in high school. But I picked this up because it sounded so awesome. When in her dream state, she became a little loose, by just kissing these random guys. I don't know, maybe it's just me. Other than that, I really liked Therese. Plus, she's a redhead. I love redheaded main characters. There aren't enough!

Now, onto Thanatos (Than) and Hypnos (Hip). There were times where I loved them, but those times were few and far between. They were lacking as Gods. I didn't quite get that God-like persona from then. I found myself a little bored while reading about them. And that's just a no-no when it comes to hot, sexy boys.

I know, it sounds like I'm saying a lot of negative stuff about this book. I'm not saying it's bad. There are lots and lots of really good reviews about this book. It just didn't live up to my expectations with the Greek mythology. Maybe if I hadn't just read two 5-star books about Greek mythology. Those 2 books could be clouding my judgment with this book.

Even though I didn't connect a whole lot with this book, I'm still going to give this series a shot. Maybe after I give mythology a break. But I do recommend this book to mythology beginners and actual young adults. 


For more reviews, author features, discussion posts and giveaways, click on the banner to see the full MERMAIDS & MYTHS schedule!




Blog Twitter Facebook Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...