Thursday, December 11, 2014

Capturing Peace by Molly McAdams (Review)


Genre:
New Adult, Romance, Contemporary
Publication.Date  April 8th, 2014
Pages:304
Published By:  William Morrow Impulse
WebsiteMolly McAdams

Capturing Peace on Goodreads
My review copy:Bought

Where to get:



Coen Steele has spent the last five years serving his country. Now that he's back, he's finally ready to leave behind the chaos of the battlefield and pursue his lifelong dream. What he wasn't expecting was the feisty sister of one of his battle buddies—who has made it obvious that she wants nothing to do with him—to intrigue him in a way no woman has before.

Reagan Hudson's life changed in the blink of an eye six years ago when she found out she was pregnant and on her own. Since then, Reagan has vowed never to let another man into her life so that no one can walk out on her, or her son, again. But the more she runs into her brother's hot and mysterious friend, the more he sparks something in her that she promised herself she wouldn't feel again.

Can two people with everything to lose allow themselves to finally capture the love they both deserve?

(Goodreads)

Wrapping my arms around his neck, I pulled our bodies closer and groaned my aggravation when his phone rang.
"Yeah?" he answered, and bit down on my bottom lip. "I'm kissing your sister, leave me alone."
His chest puffed out as he crossed his arms and glared up at me. I had no doubt he'd perfected that look by watching his mom. "Are you being mean to my mom?"
I couldn't help it, I barked out a laugh and bent down so I was eye level with him. "No way, bud. Because I'd be too scared of you coming to kick my butt if I were."
As we reached the door, Erica spoke up. "Don't worry about tonight. Parker's spending the night with your parents, just have fun."
I sent her a grateful look, and just barely caught my brother's horrified expression as Coen walked us inside.
"Don't have too much fun!"
"Dad!" Parker whispered.
Coen grinned and looked behind him. "Yeah, bud?"
Everyone sitting in the church began laughing as Parker stepped closer and stood on his toes. "Tell Mom she looks pretty."


I adore Molly McAdams and her books. Her books are the ones I have a great time reading and look back to time and time again when I need something sweet. I can easily say she's one of my favorite authors. However, I have to admit that Capturing Peace is not my favorite. 

The story was written in Molly's same addictive writing style, so the writing wasn't the problem. I think it was a mix of the main character--Reagan--and the topic. I wasn't really a fan of Reagan. She was so stubborn pretty much to the point of being rude. I understand that she had her baggage, but I still think she went kind of overboard on her dislike of dating and anything that might be seen as such. Of course, she eased up a bit as the story progressed, but that doesn't make me like it.

Stories where the main characters have children always make me nervous. It's so easy for the romance to get overshadowed by caring for that child--which isn't an actual PROBLEM, but since I'm a huge fan of romance, it can take away from the story for me. While I loved Parker, I think that's what happened for me in Capturing Peace. I'm glad Reagan put Parker first, but this did take away from the romance quite a bit. Especially since it gave Reagan another reason to act like a B.

I did enjoy Capturing Peace, though. Just not as much as I would have liked. I still swooned, and I heart Coen something fierce. Reagan's brother was pretty darn cool, too. The novella is written in dual POV, so that's another plus. We got to get to know both of the main characters more than we would have otherwise. This helped a lot in Coen's case, but I don't think it changed anything for Reagan.

The romance was there, and it did make me feel happy. I think I enjoyed cute Parker moments and funny Keegan moments just a little bit more, however. Not by a huge margin. But still. More. I liked the story, and most of the characters worked for me. It wasn't what I'd hoped it would be, all together, but I didn't hate it. Capturing Peace just was not my favorite. I'm okay with that, and I'm more than ready to jump into more Molly McAdams awesome the next time I'm able. 

Seriously, I love her books big time. :)





Blog Twitter Goodreads Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...