Thursday, December 18, 2014

Sawyer by Lori Foster (Review)

Sawyer (Buckhorn Brothers, #1)
Genre:
Adult, Romance, Contemporary
Publication.Date  March 1st, 2007
Pages:304
Published By:  Harlequin Books
WebsiteLori Foster

Sawyer on Goodreads
My review copy:Bought

Where to get:


**The buy links take you to Buckhorn Beginnings, because that's the most accessible version (and the version I'm actually reading). I have this cover here because I'm reading the books one at a time, and this is the cover Goodreads has for Sawyer. Just wanted to let y'all know so there wouldn't be any confusion!** 



Honey Malone was on the run, fleeing a dangerous predator, when she lost control of her car, drove into a lake--and found herself up to her neck in breathtaking men. After the brothers nursed her through her injuries, she tried to leave, but she hadn't bargained on their stubborn protectiveness. Or the passionate bond that tied her to Sawyer.

(Goodreads)



She seemed steadier now, but he kept his right arm around her and held her elbow with his left hand, just in case. She was firmly in his embrace, and he liked it.
He limped pathetically as he walked, and Honey had the sneaking suspicion he did it on purpose, just to rattle her, not because she'd actually hurt him.
Sawyer had been hovering outside her door for the entire five minutes she'd been in the tub. He was something of a mother hen, which probably accounted for his chosen profession. He was meant to be a doctor. Everything about him spoke of a natural tendency to nurture. She liked it; she liked him. Too much.
They'd all taken to calling her sweetie since they insisted on using an endearment, and her name was just that--her name. Honey had laughed and said that at least this way she could be distinguished from the mile and the cat and the various other assorted animals wandering the land.
She looked so young when she turned bashful. He wondered at the man who'd given her up, who hadn't really loved her, as she'd put it. Sawyer had already decided he was a damn fool. Now, seeing her like this, he was glad. She deserved better than a fool, better than a man who'd been stupid enough to let her go.


I picked this book up because it'd been sitting on my Kindle for a while and I needed something light. Something quick, fun, and--hopefully--sweet. Sawyer seemed like it'd fit that criteria perfectly. Not only that, but the novel seemed perfect for me and my preferences. Romance, lots of male characters for me to fawn over, and the premise where the woman just so happens to find herself in the midst of all those male characters thanks to some sort of trouble. All that tossed into a story usually leads to my enjoyment. After reading Sawyer, however, I feel like the book was just...okay.

I'm pretty much on the fence. I liked it, but I didn't LOVE it for sure. There were things I liked, and things that did not work for me. I'd say there was a pretty fair balance between the two, so I'm going to break it down that way.

What worked:
The characters. Most specifically, the brothers and Casey. Goodess, Casey was wonderful. And I also loved Morgan super hard. And Jordan and Gabe...I think you see my point. I was a definite fan of these guys, and they were developed pretty darn well. I'm so interested to get to their stories now that I've met them. They were so great in this story--goodness only knows how wonderful they'll be in their own!

The initial premise. As I said, this type of story pulls me in and keeps me settled most of the time. Initially, it worked that way for me with Sawyer. For a good chunk of the beginning I was really enjoying this book and wanted to get gushy about how it was working for me. Obviously, that changed later on, but the beginning definitely had me hooked effectively.

The interactions. This brings me right back to those awesome brothers, but I can't sit here and write this review without giving props to the laughter this book gave me. Those brothers are a comical bunch, and I loved them. They added a charm to this story that did a lot for keeping me attached to the story.

What didn't work:
The romance. It pains me to say this, but I wasn't really enthralled with Sawyer and Honey's relationship. It was so based around lust for such a long portion of the story, I didn't get to swoon much. Yes, there were a few sweet moments. But not nearly enough and those were usually pushed back soon after by lust. For me, romance isn't just sex. I need actual INTERACTION that solidifies the couple. Something that makes me see they belong together, and convinces me of that so I'm rooting for them throughout the story. I only got my reason to root for them at the very end of this book, and by that point it was over. Literally. It was kind of disappointing, and romance is so important to me and my enjoyment when reading.

The length. I was looking for a light, quick read, but this one didn't have enough to it. The characters were developed very well, but everything else was left lacking. Honey and Sawyer's backstories were pretty info-dumped, and their romance didn't really have sufficient room to blossom. As I said--they were stuck in lust a majority of the book. Had the book been longer and more description and beefing up of aspects that needed it, I think the story as a whole could have been more satisfying.

Some points of logic. I'm not one to sit around and whine about how I never ever believe the events in a book could ever happen. However, I reserve the right to point out when the story didn't back up the events enough to make them seem believable. This goes with the length problem--there needed to be more to back things up. More explained, more done so I believed what was going on. This went for most aspects of the story. The central conflict, things that happened to lead Honey to that conflict, and the romance. Yep. I brought it up again. It's important to me!

Overall, I didn't enjoy Sawyer as much as I'd hoped I would. By no means did I hate the book, but I felt like it left quite a bit to be desired. I certainly plan on continuing the series, however, because I truly did love the characters--particularly the brothers and Casey--so there's no way I'm missing out on their stories. Morgan is up next, and I really adored him. Hopefully he won't disappoint! ;)





Blog Twitter Goodreads Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...