Saturday, February 28, 2015

Five Ways to Fall by K.A. Tucker (Review)


Genre:
New Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Publication Date:June 24, 2014
Pages:373
Published By:  Atria Books
WebsiteFive Ways to Fall on Goodreads

K.A. Tucker Website
My review copy:Purchased

Where to get:



Purple-haired, sharp-tongued Reese MacKay knows all about making the wrong choice; she’s made plenty of them in her twenty-odd-years. So when her impulsive, short-lived marriage ends in heartbreak, she decides it’s time for a change. She moves to Miami with the intention of hitting reset on her irresponsible life, and she does quite well…aside from an epically humiliating one-night stand in Cancun with a hot blond bouncer named Ben. Thank God she can get on a plane and leave that mistake behind her.

Football scholarship and frat parties with hot chicks? Part of charmer Ben Morris’s plan. Blown knee that kills any hope of a professional football career? So not part of the plan. Luckily Ben has brains to go with his knockout looks and magnetism. After three long years of balancing law school with his job as a bouncer at Penny’s Palace, he’s ready to lead a more mature life—until his first day of work, when he finds himself in the office of that crazy, hot chick he met in Cancun. The one he hasn’t stopped thinking about.

If Ben truly were a smart guy, he’d stay clear of Reese. She’s the boss’s stepdaughter and it’s been made very clear that office romances are grounds for dismissal. Plus, rumor has it she’s trouble. The only problem is, he likes trouble, especially when it’s so good-looking…
(Goodreads)

  Call it gut instinct, an ounce of good luck buried within a pit of bad, I don't know... but I intuitively peel myself away from Ben's lips a second before a nights worth of margaritas rushes up my throat and shoots out of my mouth.
  All over the front of Ben's red shirt,
  Oh my god.  Did that just happen?
  "All out of the kindness of your heart?"
  "Definitely for an organ of mine," I think I| hear him mutter under his breath, and then I catch the crooked smile as he says more loudly, "Exactly.  Don't be a chick and read anything into it, okay?"
  Those caramel eyes flash, as if afraid I'll elaborate.  I step back a bit as she marches toward me, wondering if I should stop grinning like an idiot and protect myself against an imminent throat punch.
  Reese, well . . . she's all angry and fire-breathing bitchy until her lips find you, and then you are sure she must have a cocaine-laced tongue because you can't get enough of her sweet mouth.


  This book will stay with me for the rest of my life. I will say that Tucker’s books always do, as they are beautifully written but this one holds a special place for me. The reason in this is because how Reese and Ben’s first meeting ended. I was in complete tears laughing… If you have read this book you may get this, or you may not. My reasons are so different from most tho. It quite simply reminded me of a friends trip to Vegas, his drinking of tequila, a stripper, and well... Too much tequila… It all ended very badly for him and I will forever cherish that story, and the start of everything in Reese and Ben’s story for that reason. In fact I sent him the quote from Reese becoming sick just because I knew he would find amusement in it, and I was right.

  In typical Tucker style, this book was simply perfect. The pacing could not have been better timed, even if it was a finely tuned clock or you know something that runs perfectly.  I found myself easily falling into the world of Reese and Ben, revelling in their quirky and fun story.  We get to see characters from the other books, but nothing that would prevent someone from reading this as a stand alone.  That's another perk of these books, you can pick up any of the four and just read it.  However, it does help a little to understand the other characters if you have read the other books.  But as I said you don't have to and with Tucker's beautiful writing it'll all just flow, and you too will find yourself pulled into the lives of these characters.

  Normally I would talk about our female lead first but I really feel this time around that I should really mention Ben first.  He's just fun, there is no other way to describe him really.  Well he's fun and he is a great guy, despite his player ways.  He's the type of guy that mothers warn their daughters about, and yet the daughters can't help but hope that they can change him.  Ben's story is one that I greatly looked forward to and he definitely did not let me down.  He proved that he can think with more than one head when it comes to women and that he was far more than the womaniser he played himself up to be.  This could be because Reese was not the girl to just fling herself onto him, and she was also the girl he probably should have never wanted, but she was the right girl for him because of it.

  Reese was a fire cracker and truly a girl after my own heart.  She basically because my hero with red paint and her fuck you attitude.  I loved her strength that came from being broken, and her resolve to no longer deal with that crap.  Yes, she had her weak moments but honestly being messed with like she was would do that to any human being.  She may have fell for Ben's good looks and hot body to start but she smarty resisted being the girl that just jumps in.  The shots that Reese takes at Ben and how she maintains her stiff backbone, kept me laughing and loving this book every page of the way.  This girl easily became one of my favourite female fictional characters, and if she happen to come to life I would want her as a friend.  Because you don't want this girl as you enemy.

  If I could give this book more then five stars I would hands down.  K.A. Tucker never fails to blow me away, her books like a drug... making me want more and more.  Five Ways to Fall is filled with memorable characters, situations and is a book that will stay with you long after you finish it.  If you haven't picked up one of the books in the Ten Tiny Breaths series I highly recommend it.  It'll be a decision that you will NEVER regret.  If you have read any of the other books in this series, this one is a must read.  Basically if you read new adult this book should be on your shelf, if it isn't...  Well you should make sure it gets there soon!! 



Goodreads Twitter Blog Instagram Facebook Image Map

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...