Sunday, November 29, 2015

Book Review: Winter by Marissa Meyer

 
Series:
The Lunar Chronicles #4
Genre:
Young Adult, Romance, Science Fiction, Retelling, Fairytale
Publication.Date:November 10, 2015
Pages:823 (hardcover)
Published By:  Feiwel and Friends
Website:Marissa Meyer

Winter on Goodreads
My review copy:
Bought

Where to get:

http://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Folly-Sharon-Biggs-Waller/dp/0670014680 http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/a-mad-wicked-folly-sharon-biggs-waller/1115700003?ean=9780670014682 http://www.indiebound.org/book/9780670014682



Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana.

Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long.

Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?

(Goodreads)


"I'm sorry," said Scarlet, her voice teetering with exhaustion. "It's just . . . I smell so awful, I can hardly stand to be around myself right now, so I can't imagine what it's like for you and your sense of sm-"

Batting her hand away, Wolf dug his fingers into Scarlet's hair and crushed his mouth against her. Her protests died with a muffled gasp."

This time, she did collapse, her legs unable to hold her a second longer. Wolf fell with her, dropping to his knees to break Scarlet's fall and cradling her body against his.
"My point is that I am going to figure this out, like I always do. First, we're going to find a way to get into Artemisisa. we're going to find Cress and rescue Cinder and Wolf. We're going to overthrow Levant, and by the stars above, we are going to make Cinder a queen so she can pay us a lot of money from her royal coffers and we can all retire very rich and very alive, got it?"

Winter started to clap. "Brilliant speech. Such gumption and bravado."

"And yet strangely lacking in any sort of actual strategy," said Scarlet.

"Oh, good, I'm glad you noticed that too," said Iko.
Thorne's voice pitched high in imitation of the queen. "The imposter of my beloved niece is vanquished . . . Let us put this messiness behind us while we got forward with the coronations . . . I am a psychotic, power-hungry nut basket and my breath smells really bad under this veil."


You guys . . . it's over. I can't believe that it's over. The Lunar Chronicles has ended - unless you count the mini epilogue in Stars Above, where there's going to be a wedding! I'm not sure who I'm hoping is getting married more. Do you have high hopes for one pairing over another?

The Lunar Chronicles has been an excellect series and while I was sad to see it go, it also felt like time. And with a 800 page book, Marissa could have easily split it into two, but at the same time there was so much going on, I don't know where she would have split it up. (Take note, Hollywood. Series ending YA adaptions don't always need a part 1 and part 2. *cough*Everything after Harry Potter*cough*)

I read Winter over the course have two days, because yes, that good. There are many intense moments that I had me wide eyed and gasping. Times when I flipped the pages because I had to know what was going to happen, and chapters I reread because the feels were just too strong to ignore.

Maybe because it's the impeding doom and possible death, but they just laid it all on the table. Characters became who they were always meant to be (looking at you, Cress) and others became stronger versions of who they already were. I know characters typically grow throughout a series, but we haven't spent the entire series with all of them and even those characters who have only been recently introduced go through crazy development.

I was fortunate enough to find a co-worker who is as much in love with this series that I am and we fangirled over every moment together. And then discussed how much better at being an evil queen than Levana we'd be, but that's a whole different topic of discussion.

Winter is that quintessential series ending. There's no lagging, no unnecessary drama, everything serves a purpose, and all lose ends are tied up. If you were waiting for Winter to come out to read this series (I know there are people out there who only read completed series), wait no longer. Put these books on your Christmas list and binge out over the holiday season. You'll benefit from the back to back read - I myself got lost in Recaptains prior to release date - and find yourself a favorite new series to love and adore.

And then come back here and we can gush over the perfection that is Scarlet and Wolf.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...